George W. Rutherford, MD
Professor and Head, Division of Preventive Medicine and Public Health
Director, Institute for Global Health
Salvatore P. Lucia Professor of Preventive Medicine
Professor of Pediatrics and of Family and Community Medicine
Adjunct Professor of Epidemiology and Health Administration, School of Public Health, UC Berkeley
UCSF Box 1224
50 Beale Street, Suite 1200
San Francisco, CA 94105
Dr. Rutherford is the Director for the Institute for Global Health, the Salvatore Pablo Lucia Professor and the Head of the Division of Prevention Medicine and Public Health in the Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics in the School of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco. He is also Professor of Pediatrics and of Family and Community Medicine and Adjunct Professor of Epidemiology and Health Administration at the School of Public Health at the University of California, Berkeley. Educated at Stanford University and the Duke University School of Medicine, Dr. Rutherford is board certified in pediatrics and in general preventive medicine and public health.
Following training in epidemiology in the Centers for Disease Control's Epidemic Intelligence Service, he spent the majority of his professional career in public health practice, with a primary emphasis on the epidemiology and control of communicable diseases. He has held a number of positions in public health agencies, including serving as the State Health Officer for the California Department of Health Services, the State Epidemiologist for the California Department of Health Services, the Director of the AIDS Office for the San Francisco Department of Public Health and the Director of the Division of Immunizations for the New York City Department of Health.
Dr. Rutherford is currently the director of the Joint UCSF-University of California, Berkeley Residency Program in Public Health and General Preventive Medicine. He also is the Director of the Center for AIDS Prevention Studies' International Program and the Coordinating Editor of the Cochrane Collaborative Review Group on HIV Infection and AIDS.
At the University of California, Dr. Rutherford teaches courses on public and international health, public health surveillance, preventive medicine, and the design of clinical research trials. His current research interests include the epidemiology and control of human immunodeficiency virus infection and AIDS-related opportunistic infections, especially in the developing world, the prevention of coccidioidomycosis, sexually transmitted disease control in California, pediatric vaccination policy, the role of public health in managed care, evidence-based public health practice, the epidemiology and control of tuberculosis in California and emerging infectious diseases.
Dr. Rutherford currently chairs the California Tuberculosis Elimination Advisory Committee and the American Academy of Pediatrics Section on Epidemiology and co-chairs the California Chlamydia Action Coalition.
Principal Research Interests
- Epidemiology and prevention of infectious diseases with emphases on HIV, chlamydia, syphilis, tuberculosis and coccidioidomycosis
- Epidemiology and prevention of childhood injury
- International health
Principal Teaching Activities
- At UCSF:
- Infection, inflammation and immunity block in 2nd year medical curriculum (public and international health module)
- Epi 140.07. Senior clerkship in public health and preventive medicine
- Preventive medicine residency seminar series
- Pediatric infectious diseases journal club
- At UCB:
- PH 253A. Topics in public health surveillance
- PH 288A-D. Preventive medicine residency seminar
Selected University & Public Service
- University Service:
- Member, Department of Epidemiology and Biostatitiscs Executive Committee
- Member, Executive Committee, Program in Global Health Sciences
- Member, Chancellors Action Committee on Nuclear, Chemical, Biological, and Cyber Terrorism
- Member, AIDS Research Institute Executive Committee
- Member, CAPS Executive Committee
- Ex-officio member, Preventive Medicine Residency Advisory Committee
- Public Service:
- Member, Institute of Medicine Committee on Gulf War Syndrome
- Chair, California Department of Health Services, Tuberculosis Elimination Advisory Committee
- Co-Chair, California Chlamydia Action Coalition
- Chair, Section on Epidemiology, American Academy of Pediatrics
- Editorial Board, Global Public Health
- Member, Advisory Board for Archaeology, Stanford University
Publications are provided by UCSF Profiles (powered by CTSI) which filters pubs from MEDLINE/PubMed. This filter process emphasizes accuracy but not completeness. You can make corrections and additions yourself, or contact CTSI for help.